Tropical Cyclone Hola, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, and New Zealand
We are closely monitoring the progress of Tropical Cyclone Hola as it approaches New Caledonia, New Zealand, and surrounding areas. Tropical Cyclone Hola made landfall on Vanuatu on 6 March 2018 and is expected to make landfall on New Zealand on 10 March 2018. The intensity of the tropical cyclone is expected to increase over the coming days, but it’s path through Polynesia and the Pacific isn’t yet known.
If you are in Vanuatu, New Caledonia, or New Zealand and need emergency assistance call us on +61 2 9333 3903.
Local media are providing updates as the storm progresses. There have been reports of flight cancellations from and to Vanuatu. Please view your flight provider’s website for their updates.
DFAT are advising travellers to avoid the area and follow local instructions. Please stay up to date with the advice issued by DFAT at http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/
The below information was issued on 8 March 2018 and applies to your travel insurance policy with Woolworths, underwritten by Hollard.
For policies issued prior to 9:23am AEDT 8 March 2018 there is provision for cover as set out below under ‘How does this affect me?’
For policies issued after 9:23am AEDT 8 March 2018 there is no cover for any claims arising from this event.
How does this affect me?
There is provision for cover under the following benefits of the policy subject to the policy terms and conditions, limits, Benefit exclusions and General Exclusions: • Section 1: Overseas emergency medical assistance
• Section 2: Overseas emergency medical and Hospital expenses
• Section 4: Additional expenses
• If you are claiming additional expenses, make sure you keep a copy of all your receipts.
• If your travel was cancelled or delayed by a transport provider, you may be able to claim some of your meal and accommodation costs through them. Please check the terms and conditions of your transport provider’s ticket, and keep a copy of all their communication with you.
• The Woolworths PDS gives you all the information you need to make a travel claim. You can find a copy of the PDS at https://insurance.woolworths.com.au/travel-insurance/useful-documents.html
Making a claim
If you don’t need emergency assistance, you can make a claim when you get back home. Contact us on 1300 10 1234.
• Take reasonable steps to minimise your claim. Contact your airline or Travel provider for assistance if you need to rearrange your travel plans.
• Keep your receipts and any other supporting documentation e.g. travel provider cancellation letters. If you are claiming for additional meal, accommodation, and travel costs, please ensure you retain copies of all of your expense receipts.
For details about what your policy covers, please refer to your Product Disclosure Statement. Limits, conditions and exclusions may apply under your policy.
We will assess all claims in accordance with your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and your Certificate of Insurance. Your cover will depend on the type of plan you purchased and your particular circumstances.