Volcanic Activity Mt Shinmoedake, Japan
We are closely monitoring the situation in Japan following the eruption of Mt Shinmoedake which caused flights to be cancelled out of neighbouring Kagoshima airport. Japan’s meteorological agency have labelled this the worst eruption since 2011. At present, approximately 80 flights were grounded.
If you are in Japan and need emergency assistance call us on +61 2 8320 7999
If your flights have been affected, please view your flight provider’s website for their updates.
DFAT have not provided advice on travelling to Japan at this time. Please stay up to date with the advice issued by DFAT at http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/
The below information was issued on 08 March 2018 and applies to your travel insurance policy with Woolworths, underwritten by Hollard.
For policies issued prior to 2:00pm AEDT 06 March 2018 there is provision for cover as set out below under ‘How does this affect me?’
For policies issued after 2:00pm AEDT 06 March 2018 there is no cover for any claims arising from this event.
How does this affect me?
There is provision for cover under the following benefits of the policy subject to the policy terms and conditions, limits, Benefit exclusions and General Exclusions:
• Section 1: Overseas emergency medical assistance
• Section 2: Overseas emergency medical and Hospital expenses
• Section 4: Additional expenses
• If you are claiming additional expenses, make sure you keep a copy of all your receipts.
• If your travel was cancelled or delayed by a transport provider, you may be able to claim some of your meal and accommodation costs through them. Please check the terms and conditions of your transport provider’s ticket, and keep a copy of all their communication with you.
• The Woolworths PDS gives you all the information you need to make a travel claim. You can find a copy of the PDS at https://insurance.woolworths.com.au/travel-insurance/useful-documents.html
Making a claim
If you don’t need emergency assistance, you can make a claim when you get back home. Contact us on 1300 10 1234.
• Take reasonable steps to minimise your claim. Contact your airline or Travel provider for assistance if you need to rearrange your travel plans.
• Keep your receipts and any other supporting documentation e.g. travel provider cancellation letters. If you are claiming for additional meal, accommodation, and travel costs, please ensure you retain copies of all of your expense receipts.
For details about what your policy covers, please refer to your Product Disclosure Statement. Limits, conditions and exclusions may apply under your policy.
We will assess all claims in accordance with your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) and your Certificate of Insurance. Your cover will depend on the type of plan you purchased and your particular circumstances.